The Professional Diploma in astrology is designed for students who want to anchor their astrological knowledge in a well-rounded series of courses that: 1) grow their practical skills, 2) provide a broader understanding of astrology's history, and 3) expand their understanding of the philosophies that lead to different types of practice.
It will take approximately 3-4 years to complete this diploma if students take a single class each term. ISAR and NCGR (National Council for Geocosmic Research) lets students who have completed the diploma program take Professional level exams without needing to take the previous exams.
Professional Diploma in Astrology: Core Requirements
This Diploma is designed for students who want more than just knowing a bucket of techniques. It gives students a grounding in the field, plus an understanding of astrology's place in history and culture.
The following 12 classes plus the two chart calculation labs are required.
- Fundamentals of Natal Astrology
- W101 Introduction to Astrological Symbolism and Practice
- W102 Alternate Tools for Interpretation
- W103 Building Delineation Skills
- W104 Practicum: Natal Chart Delineation
- M101 Chart Mechanics Level 1
- Movement in Natal Astrology
- W110 Moving the Chart in Time Part 1
- W111 Moving the Chart in Time Part 2
- M102 Chart Mechanics Level 2
- WR201 Counseling Issues in Astrology. This course introduces the basic issues involved in interpreting a chart for someone else, as well as exploring ethical considerations.
- E300 or E301 Astrological Heritage. Astrology has a rich heritage that is most often neglected in the history books. This course corrects this oversight and gives the student a deeper understanding of astrology's roots by providing a 3,000 year overview.
- E400 Astronomy for Astrologers. Astrology does not exist without astronomy. This course gives the astrologer a solid understanding of the solar system and the linkages between astronomy and astrology.
- Electives (3 courses or equivalent*)
- Astrological Interpretation or Forecasting: This requirement can be satisfied by E531 Traditional Horary, E535 Methods and Applications for Electional Astrology, or an intermediate or advanced delineation like W112 Rectification Practicum or W113 Practicum in Moving the Chart in Time; E550 Vocational Astrology, E510 Symmetry in Astrology 1; WR202 Temperament, Family Themes and Issues; WR203 Attractions Comparisons and Composites.
- Alternate Methodologies: V100 Indian Astrology for Western Astrologers, E511 or E512 Symmetry in Astrology 2 and 3; WL220 Astro*Carto*Graphy; E520A, B and C Character, Calling and Karma; E260 Mesoamerican Astrology; or other approved course in Hellenistic, Classical/Medieval, Symmetrical, Uranian, Cosmobiology, Evolutionary Astrology, Astro-Mapping, Heliocentric, Chinese or Tibetan, Relationship Astrology, or Financial/Business.
- Final Demonstration of Learning. This can be satisfied by an article or research project for publication or a community webinar presentation prepared with input from a Certificate instructor and critiqued.
Applying an External Course to a Diploma Course
Students can petition to apply a course they have taken from another school to the electives, history or astronomy courses required for the Diploma. The course must meet the following requirements:
- Must have a minimum of 20 hours auditory or live instruction
- Must have assigned readings
- Must have written homework
- Must cover the historical and philosophical underpinnings of content presented
- Must have regular feedback and a final evaluation process that tests the student’s knowledge
Students must provide written proof of successful course completion.
Advanced Diploma with Specialization
The Diploma with Specialization (6 courses plus demonstration of professional growth) gives the student the opportunity to build their skills in three ways: build a solid foundation of knowledge about astrology’s development and breadth through the ages, concentrate on a specialty area and do a demonstration of their professional.
Pre-requisite: Completion of basic diploma
- Three courses in one specialty area (one complete certificate beyond the core essentials, that was not completed in the basic diploma)
- 3 courses (as above you can petition to have external courses apply to this requirement) focusing on
- Mythology: astrology-related world mythology or that of a specific era, ancient & modern archetypal astrology;
- Literature: astrological symbolism in world literature or literature of a specific time period or focus.
- Philosophy: systems theory, Vedic philosophy, western philosophy, or esoteric philosophy.
- Final Demonstration of Learning. This can be a paper, artistic or research project, webinar or conference presentation (recorded) or other tangible demonstration of learning which must be pre-approved and critiqued by two designated instructors.