Minimum software and OS requirements
- A word processor that can read and write .RTF files and read and write .DOC files
- A spreadsheet program that can read or write to the MS Excel .xls format
- A presentation program that can read or write to the MS PowerPoint .ppt format
- Windows® 2000 or higher, including XP, Vista, Windows 7
- Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®) or newer
- If you are using Linux, you will be able to access the course site, but you will not be able to use the required conferencing software from GoToMeeting unless you have Wine or some other Windows emulator and know how to configure Windows applications to run under Linux.
If you do not have Microsoft Office software (for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations), you can download Open Office for free. This excellent open source software is similar to Microsoft Office and includes Writer (equivalent to Word), Calc (equivalent to Excel) and Impress (equivalent to PowerPoint). It will read and write MS Office documents and understands .doc, .rtf, .xls and .ppt file formats.
Visit www.openoffice.org for more information.
Even though students are expected to take an introduction to computers, you still need the following skills and capabilities before you begin your classes:
1. Know how to open, create, save, print, and move files on or from your computer, including to and from CD’s/DVD’s.
2. Know how to install software on your computer.
3. Be able to access the World Wide Web (www) at least two times a week.
4. Know how to download and print documents from the internet.
5. Have an active e-mail address and know how to send and receive e-mail messages.
6. Know how to attach a file to e-mail and open a file attachment.
7. Know how to "copy and paste" text to and from office applications, the internet and e-mail.