E520A. Soul and Psyche (FALL term)
The first course explores character, beginning in the ancient and medieval worlds. Soul is depicted as aliveness and our physical existence in the world of space and time. What are the parts of the soul and how can the soul act in harmony with itself and the world? We will look at the traditional depictions of the Good Life and how this gave rise to a complete astrological psychology. In this context we will look at idea of the astrological daemon or planetary guide in application to individuals’ natal charts.
- The Harmonies of the World and of the Soul
- Soul’s Relationship to Body and the Significations of the Planets
- Soul as Character in Traditional and Modern Astrology
- The Soul as Self in Modern Astrology and Psychology
E520B Soul and Connecting to the Cosmos (WINTER term)
The second course focuses on our sense of calling that reflects our personal involvement in the larger world. Astrology has a unique role to play in enhancing understanding of one’s calling and how to actualize it. We begin with the metaphor of the soul’s ascent and descent through the planets and each planet’s contribution to our purpose. We then discuss the relationship of Personal Soul to World Soul in late antiquity and the Italian Renaissance in which we find a new relationship between the soul and the world that is sometimes misnamed “humanism”. In the third week we will discuss the magical astrological practice of Marsilio Ficino and his contemporaries. Finally we examine soul in the world according to the modern recasting by James Hillman that connects soul and our world to imagination and archetype. In this way Hillman penetrates the purpose of natal astrology.
• The soul’s calling and our responses; the soul’s journeys through the heavens
• Individual Soul and the World Soul: Late Antiquity and the Italian Renaissance
• Astrological Magical Practice
• James Hillman and the modern soul and world
• Epilogue and Continuation
Soul: Eternally Recurring and Evolving (SPRING term)
The third course builds on the first two but is also a departure, for here we consider the individual’s karma and the soul’s movement through many lifetimes. We explore the contributions from India and the spiritual and astrological perspective toward reincarnation and modern astrology's adoption of the evolutionary journey. We survey and apply the many ways that astrologers from Leo through Rudhyar and Bailey to the Forrest and Green have applied the idea of the soul’s incarnations to astrological practice.
- Encounters with the East on a philosophical, religious and cultural level. (From Alexander’s conquests to the Crusades and trade routes, to the 18th and 19th Centuries and the Introduction of the exotic to the west.)
- Western Magic plus Eastern metaphysics = 19th and 20th C New Age Movements
- The synthesis of theosophy and astrology; The esoteric approach to astrology
- Contemporary reincarnation astrological implications and applications
After the completion of the third workshop, there will be an open house live web conference for all participants to share their experiences and insights with the material.
NOTE: These workshops have two parts: an online course site with supplemental material and online discussion forums. Students will also have assignments. Each week there is a live interactive online conference. The live portion of the course is recorded and students will receive a copy of the recording.